Aquarelle water colour paint and acrylic ink on water colour paper. This piece is loosely based on a traditional Kimono design that featured peonies and butterflies. I used the colours as a jumping off point, though kept the palette simpler.
Available in my Society6 Shop as a print, iphone cover, tote bag and more.
Some sketchbook drawings I completed last year and just remembered to blog. The bottom one is a WIP (which will be available as a print in my Society6 shop, and I think the top one I am going to scan and colour in Illustrator, and also release that as a print. Working on LOADS of new stuff at the moment, including ArtJunky.net, hence the lack of bloggage. Back soon with lots more news.. xx
The other day I posted my ‘Top Ten Tips for Artists’ on the Artjunky facebook page, and it generated quite a response, so I thought I would also post it here. These are things to remember when you feel down or discouraged.
- Never compare yourself to other artists. What you do is unique.
- Draw to please you, not others, and be true to yourself.
- Don’t feel jealous of others apparent ‘success’, it’s rarely the true story.
- Don’t create work because you think it will sell, people will see through it.
- Take a walk every day.
- Read a book, visit a museum.
- Support other artists, we all need all the help we can get.
- Remember to eat, and drink plenty, the brain doesn’t work well without nourishment.
- Don’t be afraid of a blank page, just start drawing, the ideas will come.
- Keep a sketchbook, keep it with you, and draw every day.
If you also have some, then please post them here. Thank you :)
Finally, here are my last pages for the 2013 Sketchbook project. As you can see I got Luke and Orla to contribute a drawing each. I really wanted them to be a part of it, as they had both supported and encouraged me to get it done in a narrow time frame. I enjoyed the experience very much, and must admit I posted off my sketchbook with a pang knowing that it is unlikely I will see it again. But, it’s nice to know that others will hopefully look through my book many miles from here and gain some inspiration. If I participate again, I will make sure I don’t leave it until the last minute to sign up. It proved to me that I can produce work fairly quickly and to what I consider a reasonable standard.